About Community Music Academy
The TLU Community Music Academy is a nonprofit community music school with providing music education to students of all ages and levels of ability. The mission of the CMA is to enrich the community and transform lives by pursuing excellence in string and choral music education in a stimulating, nurturing and fun environment.
Texas Lutheran University and the Community Music Academy assure that all facilities used for our programs are accessible to people with special needs, per Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The CMA provides readily achievable, reasonable accommodations as warranted. Contact CMA Director Ben Thomason to request special accommodations of any kind.
If you believe in the mission of the CMA and have seen its positive impact on individual students, families, and the community at large, please consider donating. You are welcome to contact the CMA Director if you have any questions.
TLU Community Music Academy is supported in part by:
Also, Thanks to City Strings and Piano, providing Violin & Piano Lessons in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Lindenbaum Outreach Program
Through the Lindenbaum Outreach Program, the Community Music Academy offers:
- A free, two-year curriculum of weekly after-school group Strings Classes at select elementary schools in Seguin, Navarro, and New Braunfels.
- Beginning and Intermediate Youth Orchestras providing continuing strings training and ensemble experience for students through high school.
- A Beginning Choir on the TLU campus, open to first- through third-graders from Seguin, Navarro, and New Braunfels.
- Intermediate and Advanced Youth Choirs providing continuing vocal training and choral experience for students through high school.
- Graduates of the Strings Classes and Beginning Choir are provided scholarships from the Lindenbaum Family Endowment to cover tuition for continued study in the Youth Orchestras and Youth Choirs.
- Beginning and Intermediate Youth Orchestras and the advanced ensemble “CMA Performers” provide continuing strings education and ensemble experience for students from Elementary through High School. Youth Orchestras rehearse at TLU.
- Scholarships available for students graduating from Lindenbaum Outreach Program strings classes.
- Small Group Lessons for Youth Orchestra students provide an opportunity to focus on improving specific skills.
- Intermediate and Advanced Youth Choirs provide continuing vocal education and choral experience for students from late Elementary through High School. Youth Choirs rehearse at the TLU Chapel.
- Scholarships available for students graduating from the Lindenbaum Outreach Program Beginning Youth Choir.
- Weekly one-on-one sessions in violin, viola, cello, bass, or classical guitar.
- Violin instructors use the Suzuki Method; all CMA instructors hold a Master of Music or Doctor of Musical Arts in their instrument.
- One-week, half-day Strings and Vocal Arts Camps during July provide an exciting encounter with music for beginners and experienced students alike.
- Discounts available for multiple siblings and for students and graduates of the Lindenbaum Outreach Program Strings classes or Beginning Choir.
Youth Choir Festival
- Treble choirs from communities and schools across Texas are invited to a one-day workshop alternating years in January.
- We are proudly bringing back as clinician Dr. Bob Chilcott for January 2019.
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy