TLU staff are here to help families understand how to apply any applicable aid and scholarships to a student's study abroad experience.
Parent & Family Resources
TLU faculty and staff are very aware that there are a number of concerns not only for students, but for families, related to studying in another country for an extended period of time.
Benefits Of Study Abroad
Recent findings from the Institute for the International Education Of Students indicate that studying abroad makes a difference — a long-lasting difference — in the lives of its participants, and results demonstrate the far reaching affects the experience has on participants, not only academically but professionally and personally as well.
- 87% claimed that studying abroad influenced subsequent educational experiences
- 86% said that it reinforced commitment to foreign language study
- 80% reported an enhanced interest in academic study
- 52% attained graduate degrees; of those, 15% received a Ph.D, Ed.D, JD, or medical degree
- 98% reported the study abroad experience helped them to better understand their own cultural values and biases
- 94% stated that the experience continues to influence their interactions with people from different cultures
- 90% said studying abroad influenced them to seek out a greater diversity of friends
- 76% reported they acquired skill sets while studying abroad that influenced their career path
- 62% said studying abroad ignited an interest in a career direction pursued after the experience
- 48% Stated that they have worked internationally or participated in volunteer activities since studying abroad
- 97% Reported that studying abroad served as a catalyst for increased maturity
- 96% Indicated that it increased self confidence
- 95% Stated that it has had a lasting impact on their world view
- 89% Said studying abroad enabled them to better tolerate ambiguity