The TLU Honors Program provides educational challenges for highly gifted and motivated students. Recognizing that honors students are intellectually curious, adventuresome, and creative, the university provides both traditional and nontraditional learning opportunities for honors students.
Honors students must satisfy the university’s minimum requirements of 124-credit-hours for graduation, and the associated 30 upper division-hour requirement. Students must maintain a 3.25 cumulative grade point average to remain in the Honors Program.
Students must complete the following courses:
- Honors section of the Freshman Experience, FREX 134 HON.*
- Honors section of Introduction to Theology, THEO 133 HON.
- Honors Directed Reading, HON 331
- Honors Interdisciplinary Course, HON 332
- Honors Capstone, HON 431
- Six Honors credits in the student’s major
* Admits who have completed FREX 134 and transfer students who are not required to take FREX 134 will receive a waiver for the Honors section.
For Honors Program Courses and Departmental Honors Courses for the major, view the Course Catalog.
At least one co-curricular module must carry the Honors designation.
Distributions of Liberal Arts Education
Honors students must complete three hours of Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences (including a lab), and Social Sciences in order to fulfill their Distribution of Liberal Arts Education requirements, rather than the six hours requirement of the general program.
General Education, Major and Supporting Coursework
With the exception of those changes explicitly mentioned above, Honors students must complete all requirements of the General Education program, as well as all requirements of their major and supporting courses.
Students may apply to the Honors Program at two junctures:
- During the semester preceding their first semester at TLU
- During their first semester at TLU
To be considered for admission, students must have:
- 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Fewer than 40 semester hours of university work
- A complete application, available on the MyTLU Honor Program page (login required)
- Two letters of recommendation
Individualized Curriculum Plan
An honors student may propose a customized degree plan which is specifically developed to meet the intellectual and/or career interests of the individual honors student.
Honors students may apply for funds to support special research and study efforts.
Cultural Event Reimbursement
Honors students who attend area cultural events may receive reimbursement for a portion of the their expenses.
The 21 hours of Honors Program courses are designated for honors students only.
Special Academic Advising
Honors students create their degree plans in consultation with faculty advisors in their majors, and the Honors Program Director provides supplemental advising as well.
The Honors Program Center serves as a gathering place for honors students and their friends. Social events and field trips are scheduled each semester.
March 16, 2015 all day
April 02, 2015 all day
No Classes - TLU Offices Closed on Good Friday
April 13, 2015 all day
April 17, 2015 all day
April 29, 2015 all day