Texas Lutheran University students experience a challenging academic environment that sets a path for lifelong learning. We’re bold, sincere, hardworking and committed. At TLU, we look for future Bulldogs who are intellectually curious and who have a serious interest in being involved and giving back.
Founded in 1891, TLU resides on 184 scenic acres in Seguin, Texas, near San Antonio and Austin. A diverse student body of approximately 1,400 with classes averaging fewer than 20 students provides a sense of community and an environment where individuality and personal growth are as integral to success as rigorous academics.
View the aerial footage of Seguin and catch a glimpse of TLU towards the end. Video produced by the Seguin Economic Development Corporation.
Texas Lutheran University is a community of learning and a community of faith.
As a community of learning, the university stresses the liberating potential of the disciplined pursuit of academic excellence within the context of academic freedom. Its faculty and staff seek to engage each student in a process of self-education which will assist him or her in developing as an informed and resourceful person in today's rapidly changing world. It provides an academic program based upon the tradition of the liberal arts and designed to serve a diversified community.
As a community of faith, the university celebrates the liberating power of gospel as applied to the whole of human life. The biblical vision of the world as created, judged, redeemed and fulfilled by God in Christ is rich in significance for the work and hopes of persons today. It is the unique privilege and responsibility of the Christian university to explore these implications freely and boldly. Thus it leads the church to face the challenge of new insights and to formulate fresh means of creative service.
As an institution of the church, the university provides an education in the arts and sciences that is given perspective by the Christian faith. This function is carried out through a curriculum leading to undergraduate and select graduate degrees. The university encourages students to participate in service work tied to reflective discussions about its place in their lives.
In working to bring learning and faith into intimate relationship, Texas Lutheran University is discovering afresh that each can strengthen, clarify and enrich the other. Men and women who live and work in these contexts find their own purposes enlarged and deepened. A compassion born of faith and a competence informed by learning shape the mission of the university in this day. (Adopted in 1967; revised in 1979, 1998 and 2013).
The TLU Academic Experience
A TLU education encourages students to learn boldly and live to inspire.We seek to achieve these components through a broad general education curriculum we call Compass. This curriculum incorporates knowing, doing and becoming through key competencies: depth in a major field of study and co-curricular experiences that build on classroom learning.
TLU graduates should achieve:
- a breadth of knowledge in the arts, humanities, natural sciences and social sciences
- a depth of knowledge in a single discipline sufficient to understand its methods, language, content, history and value
- an understanding of the Christian faith and traditions
- an awareness of and respect for diverse religions, cultures and viewpoints
TLU graduates should be able to:
- write clearly and coherently, read with comprehension, speak effectively and listen with care and openness
- use basic mathematical skills and know the appropriateness of quantitative methods
- use appropriate tools for problem solving and for finding, analyzing and communicating information
- think critically and reflectively and draw reasonable, supportable conclusions both individually and in groups
TLU encourages and assists its students in developing:
- a commitment to active community service
- an integrated ethical perspective and a sense of moral purpose
- a desire to cultivate physical and psychological health and well-being
- a will to pursue continued cultural, intellectual and spiritual growth
Texas Lutheran University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master's degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Texas Lutheran University.
Program Specific Accreditation
- Teacher Education: Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC)
- Business Administration: Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Athletic Training: Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE)
- School of Music: National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Founded: In 1891 in Brenham, Texas. The institution moved to Seguin in 1912
Location: Seguin, Texas, near the beautiful Texas Hill Country; 35 miles east of San Antonio and 50 miles south of Austin
Type of School: private; four-year; liberal arts, sciences and professional studies; residential; coeducational; undergraduate university
Church Affiliation: Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Accountancy
Academic Programs: 30 majors, 35 minors, and 13 pre-professional programs
Enrollment: 1,400 approx.
- 48% Male; 52% Female
- Students from 23 states and 8 foreign countries
- 65% of full-time students live on campus
- 98.5% receive financial assistance
- 19% Lutheran
- 27% Hispanic
- 10% African-American
- 77 Full-time faculty
- Average class size: 18
- Student-faculty ratio: 14:1
Athletic Conference: NCAA Division III in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference
Women’s varsity sports: basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, and volleyball
Men’s varsity sports: baseball, basketball, football, golf, soccer, tennis, cross country and track and field
School colors: black and gold
For more information about Bulldog Athletics, visit tlubulldogs.com.