Why an Education Master's Degree Program at TLU?
- 30 hours of coursework completed in just 12 months*
- A mix of face-to-face, blended, and online courses
- 8-week, 15-week, and summer courses
- Multiple start dates during the year
- Taught by on-campus TLU Education faculty
- Affordable tuition of $15,000 for entire program
*Contingent on the number of hours taken
Email Dr. Jeannette Jones, associate professor and chair of the Education Department, with questions or to schedule an information session.
Who Can Apply?
Who can apply for this program?
TLU’s Education master’s degree program is designed for educators who are certified to teach in the State of Texas and are interested in developing professional growth opportunities in the area of curriculum and instruction or special education curriculum and instruction.
What can you do with a specialization in Curriculum and Instruction?
Our Curriculum and Instruction Specialization prepares educators to be instructional coordinators, grade level chairs, and department chairs. The Curriculum and Instruction with a Special Education focus prepares educators to work with students identified with special needs. Students who complete the master's program will have the knowledge necessary to successfully take and pass the TExES Special Education certification exam.
Why focus on Curriculum and Instruction?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the median annual salary for instructional coordinators and special education instructional coordinators is much higher than the average for U.S. workers, and the career path also has above-average growth projections.
What courses will I take?
Students in the program will take 12 hours of Education courses and 18 hours in either the Curriculum and Instruction Specialization or the Curriculum and Instruction with a Special Education focus.
- Provide official transcripts from all institutions attended showing you earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Must have earned an undergraduate GPA of 2.9 or greater
- Must hold your Texas teacher certification at the start of the program
How to Apply
- Visit our Application page. Select the application type “Graduate” when creating your application.
- Submit the following documents to complete your application file:
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (including any dual credit or summer coursework)
- Current resume
- Educational philosophy
- Education goals
Education Courses (12 hours):
- Issues, Strategies, and Models in Curriculum Design
- Teaching and Learning in Diverse Classrooms
- Research Methods
- Creativity: Theories, Research, and Applications
Curriculum and Instruction Specialization (18 hours):
- Advanced Curricular Design
- Social Foundations and Education Trends
- Comparative Curriculum in International Contexts
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Curriculum & Instruction – Special Topics
Curriculum and Instruction with a Special Education focus (18 hours):
- Survey of Exceptionalities
- Instructional Strategies for Students with Disabilities
- Behavioral Strategies for Students with Disabilities
- Special Education: Assessment, Compliance and Law
- Special Education – Special Topics
- Capstone in Special Education