Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF)
TLU has received a HEERF II allocation for emergency grants for our students. Deadline for application is March 1.
How to Apply for an Emergency Grant
TLU has received a HEERF II allocation for emergency grants in the amount of $704,097. Currently enrolled students who are degree-seeking U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens are encouraged to apply. We currently have 1,357 students attending TLU in the spring 2021 semester that are eligible to apply for emergency grant funds.
STEP 1: Complete the Emergency Grant Fund Request Form (See guidelines below before completing form)
STEP 2: Submit your completed form one of two ways:
A: Use TLU's Financial Aid Secure Upload tool on MyTLU (requires login)
B: USPS Mail to: Student Financial Services, 1000 W. Court St., Seguin, TX 78155
IMPORTANT: Applications must be submitted with physical (not typed or electronic) signatures along with all required supporting documents no later than March 1, 2021, to be considered for an emergency grant. Only students still enrolled at the time grants are awarded will be considered.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT FORM: March 1, 2021
Application Review: March 2-24, 2021
Grant Disbursements: By March 31, 2021
Emergency Grant Fund Rules & Guidelines
Congress has made available $704,097 in supplemental federal grant funds to be used to help students enrolled at TLU. These grants may be used to help the student with any component of his/her cost of attendance or for emergency costs that arise due to the coronavirus.
1. Who is eligible to apply for a grant? Students who are:
- Degree seeking
- A U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Enrolled at TLU during the spring 2021 semester
2. When determining the amount of grant funds to request, a student should consider the following:
- Are you struggling to pay rent, buy food, pay utilities?
- Do you need help paying your tuition, fees, room, and/or board charged to your student account for spring?
- Were these expenses incurred after December 27, 2020?
3. What do you need to do to request funds? Complete the HEERF II Emergency Grant Request form. Be sure to include copies of receipts, leases, bills, or other documentation that supports the expenses for which you are requesting grant funds as incomplete requests will not be processed.
4. Is there a deadline to submit a request? Yes. Requests must be submitted by March 1, 2021.
5. When will requests be reviewed? TLU’s Emergency Grant Committee will review all applications at the same time. Priority will be given to students demonstrating exceptional need and will be awarded as follows:
- Students that apply who received Pell Grants in 20-21 based on application
- Students that apply who did not receive Pell Grants in 20-21 based on application
- Remaining funds will be awarded in block grants to students who did not apply. Applicants whose initial grant is less than the block amount would be increased so that no student receives less than the block amount.
6. How will TLU disburse the grant funds? TLU’s Emergency Grant Committee will make every effort to review all requests by March 24th and disburse grants to students by March 31st. Students who have an outstanding student account balance may opt to have their grant funds disbursed to their student account to pay toward the balance. Students who do not opt to have their funds disbursed to their student account will have the funds disbursed to them by either direct deposit or check. We encourage all students to sign up for direct deposit to ensure a faster and more secure disbursement.