Transfer Student Application
TLU follows a rolling admissions policy, which means that an admissions decision is made approximately two weeks after an application file is completed by the applicant. A student's application is considered complete only after all required documents have been received.
- Spring Priority Deadline: November 15
- Spring Late Deadline: January 3
- Fall Priority Deadline: June 15
- Fall Late Deadline: August 1
Application for admission
- Official transcript(s) from every institution attended (including dual credit)—even if no credit was earned, a transcript is required
- Official high school transcript is required for students who have graduated within the last five years, or who have fewer than 24 hours of university-level coursework (This is a federal requirement)
- Transfer Addendum (available via your application status portal)
NOTE: A recommendation letter from someone familiar with your academic background is preferred, but not required. *Transfer applicants with fewer than 15 semester hours of university-level work may submit official SAT or ACT test scores for consideration.
- A maximum of 68 hours may be transferred from community colleges to Texas Lutheran University. For students with more than 68 hours, the 68 hours that best complete the degree plan as of the first semester the student attends TLU will be transferred. No changes may be made to the choice of transferred hours after the student starts classes at TLU.
- Only grades of "C-" or better will transfer. Grades of "D" do not transfer.
- Community college courses may not transfer into TLU as upper-division courses (300-400 level), even though TLU may have an upper-division course with exactly the same name and description. Community college courses may not be used to fulfill the 30-hour upper-division requirement for graduation at TLU. However, the course may be used as a substitute for an upper-division course with an approved substitution form signed by the chair and dean.
- FREX134, Exploring the Arts & Sciences, is required of all students except transfer students entering with 24 or more hours, no more than 12 of which may be earned through dual participation
- Only four hours of Physical Education (Kinesiology) activity will apply to degree requirements.
- Only four hours of Ensemble Music will apply to degree requirements.
At TLU, we want our graduates to achieve a breadth of knowledge in the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. Toward that end, students need to meet requirements in 9 areas we call the Foundations and Dimensions of Liberal Education. These areas are closely aligned with what other schools call their “core” courses or “basics.”
Prospective transfer students are invited to join us for an exclusive event for students interested in transferring to TLU. It doesn't matter if you are just starting the search process, have submitted an application, or have been admitted to TLU, the transfer process is unique, and we want to give you the opportunity to hear from the transfer experts, our transfer students. During this session, students will share their experience as a transfer student at TLU and also answer your questions.
Summer 2022 Transfer Days:
- Thursday, June 7
- Tuesday, June 28
- Friday, July 22
Texas Lutheran University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Dr. David Ortiz, Title IX Coordinator, 830-372-8011. TLU's Title IX policies are outlined at www.tlu.edu/titleix.. For further information on notice of non-discrimination, click here for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.