Dramatic Media Scholarships
Jones Audition Scholarship
The Jones Audition Scholarship provides artistic recognition for outstanding musical and dramatic media performance to those students who intend to pursue a baccalaureate degree in dramatic media. Recipients will demonstrate a meaningful contribution to the life of the university through participation in performance ensembles. This scholarship is based on an audition and interview. Incoming freshmen, transfer, and returning TLU students are eligible.
Dramatic media students will participate in both a dramatic media ensemble and a dramatic skills laboratory. The amount of this award is up to $7,500 and is determined by the appropriate department faculty. This scholarship is renewable for up to an additional three years. Students should review audition criteria and submit a dramatic media scholarship audition application. This scholarship is in addition to any academic scholarships you receive upon admission to TLU.
Performance Awards provide artistic recognition for outstanding dramatic media and musical performance to those students majoring in a field other than dramatic media who demonstrate a meaningful contribution to the life of the university through participation in dramatic media performance ensembles.
The amount of this award, up to $3,000, is based on audition and interview and can be combined with TLU academic scholarships. Incoming freshmen, transfer, and returning TLU students are eligible. Recipients must participate in both a dramatic media ensemble and dramatic skills laboratory. The amount of this award varies and is determined by the appropriate faculty. This scholarship is renewable for up to an additional three years.
Dramatic Media scholarships are initially awarded on the basis of demonstrated competence in previous production work. All applicants should submit an application and reference form. The reference form should be completed by a person in authority who is qualified to evaluate the applicant's competence in fields related to dramatic media.
Audition & Interview
In addition to the application and reference form, incoming students are required to attend an audition/interview session in conjunction with a campus visit. You will meet with TLU Dramatic Media faculty member in an individualized, non-threatening environment.
- Performers should prepare a brief 2-5 minute performance featuring either a monologue, recitation of original writing, vocal solo, dance routine, or combination of these forms. We encourage two contrasting pieces to demonstrate range.
- Technicians/Designers are encouraged to bring any design portfolio materials if available.
- Writers are asked to submit a sample of their original work.
- Digital Artists should prepare a portfolio of their work, through a digital file or link.
- All applicants will participate in an informal interview with departmental faculty.
Scheduled audition/interview dates are listed above. If the scheduled dates will not work with your schedule, you should schedule an individual appointment with Professor David Legore. All dates should be confirmed with the Office of Admissions.
Criteria For Renewal
Scholarship awards will be reviewed each semester by the dramatic media department chair, in consultation with the director of financial aid. At the end of the fall semester, the scholarship may be renewed for the spring semester if acceptable levels and quality of participation in performance ensembles have been met, and the cumulative GPA of 2.0 has been maintained.
The scholarship may be rescinded at the end of the fall semester if any of these criteria are not met. During the spring semester anyone interested in a Jones Audition Scholarship for the following year must apply (see deadline below.) Dramatic Media scholarships are awarded competitively. There are no guarantees of renewal, and awards may be rescinded if participation is discontinued or unsatisfactory.
- In addition to the requirements listed above, incoming first-year students and transfer students must be admitted to TLU in good standing before being eligible for a Dramatic Media scholarship.
- Returning students who were not initially awarded a Dramatic Media scholarship may apply and be considered for a Jones Audition Scholarship and Performance Award if they have been active participants in TLU Dramatic Media and have maintained a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
- Renewal of scholarship awards will be dependent upon the level and quality of the student's performance within TLU Dramatic Media and upon the student's maintaining at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. Scholarships ordinarily can be awarded up to a maximum of four years, but special consideration may be given to a student experienced in the TLU Dramatic Media program whose regular college program extends beyond four years. The judgement of the department chair, in consultation with the director of financial aid will be final.
TLU Dramatic Media Scholars are organized around a company ensemble model, similar to that of an athletic team. All scholars are members of the company ensemble, and thus are responsible for the production operations of TLU Dramatic Media and TheatreXpress. Scholars meet on a daily basis, generally for three hours each weekday from 2:30-5:30 p.m. During these daily meetings, scholars are involved in either rehearsals or crew work to support production for both TLU Dramatic Media and TheatreXpress.
- Dramatic Media Scholars are required to enroll in DRAM 101/111, Dramatic Media Ensemble and DRAM 102/112 Dramatic Skills Laboratory. These one-hour credit/no-credit courses allow Dramatic Media Scholars to receive academic credit for their participation in TLU Dramatic Media. Dramatic Media Ensemble meets in conjunction with the 2:30-5:30 p.m. time discussed above. Scholars should keep their class and work schedule free during this time.
- Dramatic Media Scholars may be assigned special areas of concentration, according to their interests and abilities, working under the supervision of faculty. However, scholars will be trained as well-rounded artists, and are thus expected to participate actively in all aspects of TLU Dramatic Media.
- Because of the company ensemble approach, TLU Dramatic Media Scholars automatically participate in all faculty-produced shows, either in performance or on crews. They also form the core membership for TheatreXpress activities, which include student productions, touring, original material, and so forth.