“TLU's Educator Preparation Program offers multiple degrees that lead to certification in Texas. This program is accredited by the Texas Education Agency. To ensure that students meet these standards and earn a baccalaureate degree, they take coursework in (1) liberal arts general education, (2) the content area(s) in which they plan to teach, and (3) educational pedagogy which includes extensive field experiences in public and private schools. The students’ capstone experience is one semester of student teaching.
Students in any one of our education programs receive a well-rounded liberal arts education in addition to specialized content coursework, and educational pedagogy including student teaching. Students take additional coursework, a minimum of 90 hours, related to the field in which they plan to teach. Students can choose to teach at the elementary, middle school, secondary or all levels and specialize in core subjects, English language arts and reading, math, science, social studies, biology, physics, history, kinesiology, Spanish or music. All students spend a semester as a student teacher in order to gain invaluable classroom experience before seeking a professional teaching position.
Texas Lutheran University also offers an alternative teacher certification program for those who already possess a bachelor’s degree and wish to shape the minds of future leaders within their chosen field. TLU’s Alternative Teacher Certification Program is authorized by the State Board of Educator Certification and meets all federal standards for an acceptable non-traditional route to certification.”
Secondary Education Teaching Fields
- Biology Major, 7-12 Life Science Specialization (B.S.)
- English Language Arts Major, 7-12 English Language Arts & Reading Specialization (B.S.)
- History Major, 7-12 History Specialization (B.S.)
- Mathematics Major, 7-12 Mathematics Specialization (B.S.)
- Social Studies Major, 7-12 Social Studies Specialization (B.S.)
- Chemistry Major, 6-12 Physical Science Specialization (B.S.)
- Physics/Math Major, 7-12 Physics/Math Specialization (B.S.)
- Physics Major, 6-12 Physical Science Specialization (B.S.)
For issues or complaints about this educator preparation program, email www.tea.state.tx.us, complaints (located in red banner at the bottom of the home page), or mail Correspondence Management, Texas Education Agency, 1701 N. Congress, Austin, TX 78701.