Latest campus update from the COVID-19 Leadership Team:
While we are continuing with our plans to reopen for the spring semester, with residence hall move-in scheduled for Jan. 12 and classes resuming Jan. 13, we are announcing some new measures to address the current external environment, which includes rising COVID-19 case numbers, a rising positivity rate, increased hospitalizations, and increased deaths across Texas.
As a reminder, all of the protocols – mask wearing, social distancing, #CampusClear – are still in effect for spring and can be viewed here. It is very important that everyone uses #CampusClear so we have an accurate and current view of our community’s health. If you haven’t already, please start using #CampusClear today.
In addition to these protocols, we are announcing the following new safety measures:
- We have an agreement with Community Labs of San Antonio to conduct COVID-19 testing for our athletes as required by our athletic conferences. We are excited to be able to extend this testing to faculty, staff, and students as well. Participation in this no-cost test is expected of faculty, staff, and students who will be living or working on campus or commuting to classes on campus during the spring semester. We will be providing the details of when, where, and how to get your COVID-19 test next week, so please watch your email for details. Our goal is to have everyone tested by the end of January. We anticipate that further testing for faculty, staff, and students will be done subsequent to this initial round and will communicate those details as they are available.
- The faculty executive committee, faculty members of the COVID-19 team, and VPAA Sarah Ferguson are recommending that faculty who choose to, and as their courses allow, move to remote learning for the entire month of January. It is recommended they stay remote as long as they can, knowing that lab courses may need to move to face-to-face before the end of January.
- Faculty: Just a reminder that MyTLU will not be available on Saturday, January 9, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Students: You will hear from your professors regarding plans for your classes so please continue to check your TLU email.
- Vice presidents are working closely with their staff members to arrange, to the extent possible, to have most staff members work remotely through the end of January.
Though plans for the return of athletics remain, we will continue to monitor the situation carefully, and will be using testing and other protocols mandated by the NCAA. There will be no spectators allowed at any TLU competitions at least through the end of January (this situation will be monitored regularly after that).
We are making these adjustments with recognition of the dual commitment of keeping our campus as safe as possible while also continuing to provide the best educational opportunities possible for our students.
It will take a commitment from everyone in the TLU community to ensure the health and safety of our faculty, staff, and students. We appreciate your efforts to keep our campus safe and our university strong!