The CenterPoint Energy natural gas outage currently affecting both Seguin and McQueeney is also impacting the Texas Lutheran University campus - primarily our inability to heat all buildings and a lack of hot water in most areas of campus. We are working with the City of Seguin and CenterPoint Energy to estimate a timeline for when gas will be restored, but as of 5 p.m. today, they are anticipating several days for the outage.
Since the timeline is uncertain and cold temperatures are predicted overnight for several days, our Safety and Emergency Management Committee and President’s Cabinet met this afternoon to discuss plans for the remainder of the week, so students, faculty, and staff can make arrangements as necessary.
- Residence Halls: The majority of our campus buildings and residence halls are dependent on natural gas for heat. With the exception of the North Apartments and Clifton Hall, you can anticipate that buildings will be cold as temperatures overnight are expected to be in the 30s, then warming to 55-75 degrees during the day. Students have the option to remain on campus if they choose, and our resident assistants, area coordinators, and Campus Living staff will be checking on students who choose to stay to make sure they have what they need to stay warm. The fitness center will remain open and will have hot water for showering.
- Classes: Faculty should communicate with their students on any changes they make to class schedules or modality for the remainder of this week. Residential students who choose to leave due to the cold temperatures in the residence halls should communicate with their professors if they will not be able to attend class.
- Dining: Hein Dining Hall will remain open and will operate through Friday at noon (per spring break hours). Lucky's and Tschoepe Cafe will be closed the remainder of the week.
- Athletics: TLU athletic events (baseball and softball) will continue as planned.
- Events: TLU events will be decided by the event sponsor so please continue to check your email and TLU.EDU for possible changes to events.
- Departmental staffing: TLU offices will remain open and staffed to meet campus needs. If you have questions or concerns about office staffing, please direct them to your immediate supervisor.
- ABSN Program: The New Braunfels campus is not impacted and will continue its operations as normal.
We will continue to keep our community updated as we know more, but we wanted you to have this information as soon as possible so you can make necessary plans. Thank you for your patience during this unexpected event.
President’s Cabinet and Safety and Emergency Management Committee (SEMC)