Since the COVID-19 situation is changing daily, and sometimes hourly, our priority is to share information in a timely manner to ensure the health and safety of our community. Sometimes the speed of our communications may require us to update incomplete or conflicting information in subsequent updates. We appreciate your understanding and assure you that we are focusing on providing clear and consistent information in the timeliest manner possible.
Here is the daily update regarding TLU’s response to COVID-19 for Tuesday, March 17.
- TLU Nursing updates and developments:
- Nursing students: Yesterday we shared news about three TLU nursing students and exposure to a hospital intern who has since tested positive for coronavirus. After we sent the communication, we learned only one student had direct exposure with the intern. Although the other two students did not have direct contact with anyone testing positive for coronavirus, the hospital recommended quarantine as a precautionary measure since the students were working on a floor with two patients who are awaiting COVID-19 testing. Those two students live off campus and are self-quarantining. The student who had direct contact with the intern remains asymptomatic and is also self-quarantining and working with the health department for temperature monitoring.
- Nursing clinicals: Nursing Director Carolyn Lewis and the TLU Nursing faculty have canceled clinicals effective immediately and lasting until March 30. The Nursing faculty will meet on Monday, March 23, to re-evaluate the situation and decide on a plan moving forward.
- TEAS Exams: The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), an admissions test used by many nursing programs, will be held at TLU on March 19 and 23 as well as several dates in April (see exam dates at our Nursing page). TLU Nursing will continue to host this exam for students since there are typically fewer than five people at a time who take the exam. If anything changes, we will notify students and update the Nursing web page.
- Library hours: Yesterday we noted that academic buildings will be accessible from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday (unless the campus is closed for a holiday), but those hours do not apply to the Library. The Library is closed as planned for Spring Break this week but will be open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. next Monday through Friday (March 23-27).
- TLU’s Pedagogy Conference, scheduled for May 13, will be cancelled. Dr. Chris Bollinger will provide further details to presenters and invitees.
- Student Academic Symposium and Ring Ceremony: We expect to have a decision regarding the Student Academic Symposium and Ring Ceremony (both originally scheduled for April 17) by the end of next week.
- May Commencement in light of new CDC recommendations for gatherings: As of today, we have not made a decision regarding our May 9 Commencement. We realize students and families make plans well in advance so we will be evaluating options and making some decisions as soon as possible.
- Reminder on access to residence halls and campus apartments: Students need to return home during spring break, the extended spring break, and from March 30 - April 8 when all classes will be held online. Residence halls and apartments are accessible for students who are unable to return home. Everyone else should remain home until the university makes a decision if students will return to campus after April 8 or complete the spring semester online.
- Semester extension: Some students have asked if the semester will be extended by one week due to the extension of spring break. We are not anticipating any changes to the calendar for the spring semester at this time.
We will provide another update tomorrow.
Stay well and be safe!
TLU Safety and Emergency Management Committee (SEMC)