UPDATE FROM PRESIDENT COTTRELL | MARCH 13, 2020
Here is the daily update regarding TLU’s response to COVID-19. If you have any questions that have not been addressed, please email them to email@example.com. Visit www.tlu.edu/covid-update for the latest information as well as previous campus updates.
Please remember that students are discouraged from returning to campus during spring break or the period of online instruction, unless they are unable to leave campus. In those special cases, we will provide housing and dining services to students as needed.
- Spring Break Expectations: TLU will be on a two-week spring break March 16-27. During this time, no classes will be held or administered remotely. Faculty will have the second week of break (March 23-27) to finalize preparations for remote delivery and then will re-start classes on Monday, March 30.
- Semester Schedule: At this time, there are no plans to extend the semester schedule beyond its original end date.
- Campus building access: Academic buildings, except for Beck and the Alumni Student Center, are closed as usual during spring break. There have been questions about building access during the extended spring break (March 23-27). Since faculty will be working to convert their classes to online delivery during this time, all academic buildings will be open as usual. Faculty and students will have access to academic buildings as normal beginning March 23.
- Blumberg Memorial Library: The library will be closed as planned the first week of spring break (March 16-20). We will provide further information next week on a modified schedule for the library for March 23-April 8.
- Access to computer labs: Computers and printers in the ASC will remain accessible to students during and after spring break. Computer labs in academic buildings (Tschoepe, Langner, etc.) will be open for students when classes go online beginning Monday, March 30. There are also departmental computer labs available to students. Please talk to your professor about access to departmental labs.
- Clinicals and internships: We have several departments that will be continuing their clinicals and internships during the extended spring break. Students are encouraged to be in contact with their professors and community partners. Do not assume anything is canceled without checking with your professor first.
- Choir Tour: At this time, the spring Choir Tour is scheduled to take place. Further details and updates will be provided next week.
- Athletics: The softball doubleheader with Trinity is still scheduled for a noon start at TLU this Saturday, but all other games have been canceled or suspended by the SCAC effective Monday, March 16, until further notice. The NCAA has canceled all championship games.
- Fitness Center: The Fitness Center will be open as usual during spring break and moving forward. Be sure to check MyTLU for hours of operation since they are adjusted for spring break.
- Student workers: There are some departments who had already planned for student workers to work during spring break and beyond. Vice Presidents will make the final decision about essential vs. non-essential work for students. We discourage having student workers on campus unless it is absolutely essential to getting daily tasks completed.
- SAT, Volunteer Tax Clinic and other events: We have canceled the SAT testing that was scheduled to be held at TLU on Saturday as well as the Volunteer Tax Clinic. There is information about both on the home page of www.tlu.edu. If you are canceling an on-campus event that hasn’t already been mentioned, please notify Susan Rinn at firstname.lastname@example.org, Kathy Hewell at email@example.com, and Ashlie Ford at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share the information with Facilities, in our daily updates, and on the website.
We will have another meeting and daily update on Monday, March 16. If you have questions in the meantime, please send them to email@example.com.
Thank you for your attention to these details and for working with us through these unusual circumstances. Please stay safe and well!
TLU Safety and Emergency Management Committee