Here is the latest information and reminders for TLU faculty, staff, and students for Friday, April 3. If you have a question that has not been addressed, please email email@example.com. You may also visit www.tlu.edu/covid-update for the latest information as well as previous campus updates.
- Social distancing and stay-at-home guidelines: Texas Governor Greg Abbott has clarified his March 31 executive order that enforces federal social distancing guidelines until April 30. While some states are calling similar orders stay-at-home orders, Gov. Abbott stated in a press conference that the order for Texas is in effect the same as other states’ stay-at-home orders, but he didn’t want Texans to be confused and think they can’t leave their homes for essential items such as groceries and medicine.
- Room and meal plan refunds: Student Financial Services has issued an update on several issues including federal and state work-study, housing and meal plan adjustments, potential availability of emergency aid, and changes to federally held loans. Information regarding special circumstances and verification for the 2020-2021 academic year is also included.
- Summer classes - May Term, Summer A and Summer B: We will still offer our May term, but all classes will be online and housing is not available. Summer A will be online only and housing will not be available. As of now, faculty will have the option to teach Summer B (beginning July 6) either online or face-to-face; however, anyone teaching in Summer B should have a plan to convert to online classes if state or federal social distancing guidelines continue into July.
- Faculty will make determinations about summer research based on the need to work within our overall summer provisions. This means that research can take place only online for the first part of the summer, with the hope that we can resume on-campus research in July if federal or state guidelines are lifted. Housing will not be available until July 6 at the earliest and will be available on a limited basis only for summer research and internship students.
Reminders and previous announcements:
- Spring Commencement has been set for Saturday, August 1. The details are still being determined but we will share the final plans through email, MyTLU, and tlu.edu/graduation in the next few weeks.
- The Harlaxton summer program has been canceled. The program for fall is still under review. If you have questions about Study Abroad programs, please contact Director of International Education Charla Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 9 and 10 are TLU holidays for the Easter weekend. The campus is closed during holidays.
- Join us for another Livestream Town Hall Meeting with President Cottrell. On Wednesday, April 8, Dr. Cottrell will host a livestream town hall for faculty and staff at 4 pm. On Monday, April 13, she will host a livestream for students and parents at 4 pm. We will send out the links to the events several times prior to each date.
- Moving out of residence halls: For questions on making move-out arrangements if you are in a stay-at-home area, please email email@example.com.
- Drop date extended: The final date to drop a class has been extended by three weeks to April 22.
- Academic Advising: Advising is underway and will last until April 8.
- Building access across campus: Students’ card access has been deactivated to all buildings but will be reactivated during the move-out times so students can get their belongings from their residence hall.
- Weston Center access for music students: Music students will have access to the School of Music Building when they also have access to their residence hall. If the scheduled move-out time doesn’t work for a student or the student is a commuter, they should email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to pick up their instrument and/or get their belongings.
- Bookstore: The TLU Bookstore is accepting online and phone orders only. Please contact email@example.com with questions. A plan for returning rental books is being developed and will be communicated to students closer to the end of the semester.
Stay safe and be well!
TLU Safety and Emergency Response Committee