Here is the latest information for TLU faculty, staff, and students for Wednesday, April 23. We have several new updates for students regarding grade scale adjustments and financial aid. Please read these carefully. This information is also posted on My.TLU.EDU for future reference.
GRADE SCALE ADJUSTMENTS:
- Grade scale adjustments can now be made to your spring classes through My.TLU.EDU. If you elect to make changes, they must be made prior to April 29, 11:59 pm. Those changes will then be available to your professors and they will grade accordingly. To make changes, go to your MyTLU Student tab and select the Grade Scale Change link on the left-hand side. Please review the policy guidelines previously sent to you and carefully read the instructions presented to you on the portal page before making any grade scale changes. Your academic advisor can also be of assistance.
IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION:
- Room & Meal Plan Adjustments: Room and meal plan adjustments are now posted on students’ accounts and viewable via MyTLU. If you still owe a balance after the adjustments, please pay your balance as soon as possible or contact Student Financial Services to make payment arrangements. Students who have registered for summer classes must have paid their remaining spring balance and their summer payment before beginning attendance in the summer classes.
- Federal Work-Study Students: Through a special dispensation by the U.S. Department of Education, students who worked jobs funded through Federal Work-Study and who are no longer working on campus will receive pay for the weeks they would have worked – up to the amount of their award for spring. These funds are being paid through direct deposit this Friday.
- Emergency Aid: Last week, all students were emailed the COVID-19 Emergency Aid Request form. We are in the process of sending emails to the students that have submitted requests informing them of their status. You can also see the status of your application by logging into MyTLU and going to the Document Tracking section on the Financial Aid page.
- Eligibility for Emergency Aid: The U.S. Department of Education (ED) has released additional guidance indicating who is eligible to receive funds and the purposes for which they can be granted. Only students who are Title IV eligible are eligible to receive the emergency grant funds. Until we receive more guidance from ED on other alternatives, the easiest way for TLU to confirm a student is Title IV eligible is for the student to file either the 19-20 or 20-21 FAFSA. The FAFSA goes through the federal eligibility checks when processed. You do not have to have received federal financial aid. This means, students must:
- Eligibility: Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. International and DACA students are not eligible for these grants. Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree or non-degree seeking program. i.e. not dual enrollment, auditing classes, etc.
- Purpose: Must be granted for expenses incurred after March 13, 2020, that are related to COVID-19 such as rent, utilities, course related materials, computer, printer, travel, storage, etc., related to TLU’s move to online classes and closing the campus. This is not an exhaustive list as you may have increased expenses for food, electricity, etc., from being home all the time. Please provide documentation that shows the expenses such as receipts and utility bills. Note: We are not allowed to reimburse for lost wages as they are not an expense even though they are COVID related.
- Disbursement of Funds: Funds will be disbursed by check to the student. We are not allowed to hold it on account for future semesters nor are we allowed to use it toward any student balance you may owe. Once you have received the funds, you may use the funds to either reimburse yourself for expenses already paid or, if you choose, you can use it to pay your TLU bill. If using to pay your TLU bill, you will need to pay it through your normal means of payment.
- Timing of Disbursement: We will begin disbursing funds the week of April 27 as requests are reviewed and approved. Students will receive an email once their request has been reviewed and a grant awarded. Students can expect to receive the check within 5-7 days after notice is given.
- Please note: This grant is for the student and, as such, the request must be completed and signed by the student.
THIS WEEK’S REMINDERS:
- President Cottrell will host Livestream Town Hall meetings next week. On Monday, April 27, at 4 pm, President Cottrell will host a livestream town hall for faculty and staff. On Wednesday, April 29, at 4 pm, she will host one for students and parents. We will email the livestream links several times prior to each event. The events will be recorded and uploaded to TLU’s YouTube channel.
- Online registration extended: For students who have been cleared by their advisor, the online registration period for summer and fall has been extended and will remain open until Thursday, April 30, 11:59pm. During that period, changes can be made for any of the following terms: May, Summer A, Summer B, and Fall.
- Housing sign-up for 2020-2021 is now live: The housing application for 2020-2021 went live on Monday. Priority sign-up will run from April 20-May 3. The application is on the Residence Life page of My.TLU.EDU. For more details about the process, please refer to the email that was sent out last week. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Summer classes: Please note that the grading policy will revert to our usual policy. More than 65 classes are on the summer schedule at a rate of $370 per credit hour. This provides students an opportunity to take classes at a lower rate than in the long semesters. As a reminder, Mayterm will be offered online, Summer A will be offered online, and Summer B will be offered with both online and face-to-face courses, assuming health guidelines allow that.
- The ASC is open Monday - Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and is closed on the weekends.