Library Access for Students, Faculty and Staff this Fall
Only TLU students, faculty, and staff may access the library. Visitors must complete COVID-19 protocols established by TLU Health Services. The library will reopen on Monday, August 24 at 9 a.m. with reduced hours only to TLU faculty, staff, and students.
Hours For Fall 2020
Sunday 5 - 9 p.m.
Monday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Tuesday 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Thursday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Library Protocols for Fall
Library Experience & Expectations
- Face coverings required - see TLU Face Covering Policy.
- Physical distancing required - see TLU Social Distancing Policy.
- Users will be allowed to access all floors.
- Furniture will be adjusted or roped off to ensure social distancing of six feet.
- Use of Instruction Lab B12 will follow established policies for classroom social distancing.
Traffic Flow & Access
- There will be no access to the library through the back door except by authorized faculty or staff users.
- Deliveries will be made to the front desk with the exception of US Mail.
- Physical items coming into the library will be quarantined for three days (based on research/recommendations of the REALM library research project conducted by OCLC). This includes interlibrary loans, circulated items, and circulated equipment.
- The handling of reserve materials for courses will be limited with the majority of reserve items uploaded to students' eRacer course site.
- Librarians will be reaching out to professors who are regular users of physical reserves to determine how their needs may be met. Other faculty may contact the library or one of the individual librarians for assistance.
- The reference station at the circulation desk will not be staffed, and the computer will be disabled or removed. Signage will tell users how to contact a librarian and/or make an appointment.
- Most reference transactions will be conducted virtually, with face-to-face reference transactions available by appointment if needed.
- Directions for setting up an appointment or contacting a librarian for an appointment are posted on the library’s website, and can be added to the remote access instructions embedded in eRacer class sites.
- Staffing of the circulation desk will be limited to provide adequate social distancing.
- The circulation desk will have protective plexiglass shields at the desk with pass-through capability.
- Patrons will use the outside book drop as the front desk book drop is closed.
- High-touch, short-term loan items will not be circulated. Inexpensive earbuds will be provided on an as-needed basis.
- Classes that regularly use Fitbits may continue to check them out.
- Circulation laptops will be coordinated by IT this fall. Camera loans will continue with cameras thoroughly disinfected upon return and quarantined for the requisite four days.
- Cash transactions will no longer be allowed at the circulation desk. While continuing to encourage the timely return of items, the library will waive overdue fees during the semester.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- ILL of digital items will continue and physical items will resume for the fall semester.
- Items coming from other institutions by US Mail or the TEXpress Courier will be quarantined for the requisite four days.
- Library instruction will be offered to classes in online, face-to-face sessions in regularly scheduled classrooms, and in the library instruction lab to very small classes (following TLU's social distancing policy).
- Purchase of physical items will be reduced for the fall.
- Faculty members may request items for purchase, but the library asks that purchases be limited to immediate needs due to the current situation. Requests for physical item purchases will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- There will be reduced access to public computer workstations to comply with social distancing guidelines. Public computers will be cleaned regularly.
- All staff computer workstations will have silicone keyboard covers on staff computers for ease of cleaning.
Library-Based Programs (CTL, SCC, Academic Support, IT)
Center for Teaching & Learning (CTL)
- CTL activities will provide consultation and training online and by appointment.
Student Communication Center (SCC)
- Online SCC sessions will only be offered during library business hours.
Academic Support (Collaborative Learning Assistants and Supplemental Instructors)
- All activities will be conducted online.
IT Help Desk and Second Floor Offices
- IT will provide consultation and support online or by appointment.