Library Access for Students, Faculty and Staff
Only TLU students, faculty, and staff may access the library. Visitors must complete COVID-19 protocols established by TLU Health Services. Library hours will vary outside of regular semester hours; consult the monthly calendar for details.
Regular Semester Hours:
Monday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Library Experience & Expectations
- Face coverings are required - see TLU Face Covering Policy.
- Physical distancing is required - see TLU Social Distancing Policy.
- Users are allowed to access all floors.
- Furniture has been adjusted or roped off to ensure social distancing of six feet.
- Use of Instruction Lab B12 follows established policies for classroom social distancing.
Traffic Flow & Access
- There is no access to the library through the back door except by authorized faculty or staff users.
- Deliveries are made to the front desk with the exception of USPS mail.
- Physical items coming into the library are quarantined for three days (based on research/recommendations of the REALM library research project conducted by OCLC). This includes interlibrary loans, circulated items, and circulated equipment.
- The handling of reserve materials for courses is limited with the majority of reserve items uploaded to students' eRacer course site.
- Librarians reach out to professors who are regular users of physical reserves to determine how their needs may be met. Other faculty may contact the library or one of the individual librarians for assistance.
- The reference station at the circulation desk is not currently staffed. There is signage to tell users how to contact a librarian and/or make an appointment.
- Most reference transactions are conducted virtually, with face-to-face reference transactions available by appointment if needed.
- Directions for setting up an appointment or contacting a librarian for an appointment are posted on the library’s website, and can be added to the remote access instructions embedded in eRacer class sites.
- Staffing of the circulation desk is limited to provide adequate social distancing.
- The circulation desk has protective plexiglass shields at the desk with pass-through capability.
- Patrons need to use the outside book drop as the front desk book drop is closed.
- High-touch, short-term loan items are not being circulated at this time. Inexpensive earbuds are provided on an as-needed basis.
- Classes that regularly use Fitbits may continue to check them out.
- Circulation laptops are coordinated by the TLU Bookstore. Cameras and other equipment loans are available with equipment thoroughly disinfected upon return and quarantined for the requisite four days.
- Cash transactions are no longer be allowed at the circulation desk. While continuing to encourage the timely return of items, the library is waiving overdue fees during the semester.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- ILL of digital items and physical items continues.
- Items coming from other institutions by USPS or the TEXpress Courier are quarantined for the requisite four days.
- Library instruction is offered to classes in online, face-to-face sessions in regularly scheduled classrooms, and in the library instruction lab to very small classes (following TLU's social distancing policy).
- Purchase of physical items has been reduced.
- Faculty members may request items for purchase, but the library asks that purchases be limited to immediate needs. Requests for physical item purchases are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- There is reduced access to public computer workstations to comply with social distancing guidelines. Public computers are cleaned regularly.
- All staff computer workstations have silicone keyboard covers on staff computers for ease of cleaning.
Library-Based Programs (CTL, SCC, Academic Support, IT)
Center for Teaching & Learning (CTL)
- CTL activities are online and by appointment.
Student Communication Center (SCC)
- All SCC sessions are being conducted online only.
Academic Support (Collaborative Learning Assistants and Supplemental Instructors)
- All activities are online.
IT Help Desk and Second Floor Offices
- IT is providing consultation and support online or by appointment.