Texas Lutheran University is accepting applications for the temporary position of Lifeguard for the Mabee Pool. This position is a 15-40 hours per week summer only job, and includes evening and weekend hours. Work will be performed outdoors, often in hot, humid weather.
- Opening and closing of facility
- Filling out daily reports and paperwork.
- Taking all manual chemical and temperature readings.
- Being responsible for all money transactions.
- Enforcing facility admittance procedures.
- Performing additional tasks as required in the daily operations.
- Substituting for an employee who is absent or late.
- Being responsible for general care and maintenance of the pool.
- Being proficient in handling emergency situations.
- Preforming cleaning tasks within the facility.
- Current Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR for the professional rescuer/AED certificates required (will provide training prior to pool opening)
- Lifeguarding experience is preferred but not required
- First Aid and CPR and lifeguard certification required prior to working (will provide training).
- WSI certification preferred but not required for employment (will provide training).
- Ability to swim 300 yards using a combination of freestyle and breaststroke
- Enter the water, any approach stroke, surface dive to recover a brick at a depth of 13 feet, return swimming on back with both hands on the brick and exit water in 1:40 or less.
- Tread water with legs only for 2 minutes.
- Bring another person to the surface, remove from water, and provide first aid as necessary for a victim with no breathing and no pulse.
- Requires a high level of emotional and physical stamina
- Level of physical conditioning to be able to demonstrate essential skills
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Work requires a full range of motion, including but not limited to: walking, sitting, crouching, and stooping; kneeling, squatting, stretching, pushing, pulling, manual and finger dexterity, and hand-eye coordination
- Work with a variety of chemicals used in the treatment of swimming pools
- Understand and support the mission of Texas Lutheran University
Texas Lutheran University, an accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is located 35 miles from downtown San Antonio. For more information consult www.tlu.edu. Please submit a fully completed application to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
FAX: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made.