Texas Lutheran University invites applications for the position of Instructional Designer.
This position provides consultation and support services for instructional design strategies. In addition to providing individualized support to faculty (subject matter experts), this role is responsible for assisting with planning, organizing, and developing training curricula, materials, and programs to meet specific training needs. This full-time position reports directly to the Instructional Technologist/Associate Professor.
- Plans and develops curriculum resources for teaching and training, including designing and developing learning environment resources in collaboration with IT, CTL, and faculty.
- Implements educational technology in a Hybrid-Flexible/Blended learning environment and trains faculty to use technology resources to support asynchronous and synchronous online teaching.
- Lends support to institutional initiatives, promoting educational technology and serves as the support point of contact for online classroom support.
- Works with faculty to apply instructional technologies, learning and cognition theories, and universal design principles when developing online and hybrid courses to enhance and facilitate the learning experience.
- Analyze instructional needs, provide expertise and assistance with innovative strategies to meet those needs and supports courseware development.
- Recommends appropriate tools and teaching strategies to accomplish course learning outcomes.
- Implements strong project management strategies in course design and development.
- Keeps current with trends in learning technologies and instructional design.
- Providing guidance and developing a library of lesson plans that can be accessed for later use and updated to accommodate future learning needs.
- Creates relationships with faculty, curriculum committee, and publishers while providing online and in-person support for creating and maintaining learning materials.
- Assesses faculty’s current procedures and course management strategies for online courses to provide recommendations to improve student learning and retention.
- Excellent communication skills to help address faculty resistance and concerns about new pedagogies and technologies.
- Plans and coordinates skill assessments and tracks and analyze training programs by examining learners' satisfaction levels, proficiency testing, and job performance.
- Works closely with IT and Instructional Technologist
- Provides third level backup for LMS (Learning Management System)
- Understand and support the mission and strategic plan of Texas Lutheran University
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree preferred
- Three (3) years of experience is required experience in higher education and adult learning principles via classroom or virtual.
- Demonstrated experience in traditional and adult education or training, including familiarity with instructional design, course design principles and development, classroom teaching, and workforce skills training.
- The ability to assess needs and bring together complex information.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience with various technology, tools, systems, and practices associated with higher education and knowledge of emerging teaching and learning technologies.
- Experience applying Bloom’s Taxonomy and Quality Matters Master Reviewer preferred.
- Knowledge of ADA compliance and Universal Design, FERPA, and the TEACH Act, NC - SARA is preferred.
- Proficiency in relevant software such as MS Office suite, Brightspace (D2L), and HTML coding.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Detail-oriented and strong time and organization skills.
Benefits are competitive. Texas Lutheran University, an accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is located 35 miles from downtown San Antonio. Please submit an application, a resume, and the contact information for at least three professional references to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
FAX: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made.