Director Of Leadership Gifts
Director of Leadership Gifts
Texas Lutheran University is seeking applicants for a Director of Leadership Gifts. This full-time position reports to the Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations. The Director of Leadership Gifts serves as a personal ambassador of TLU. Responsibility is to both the university and the donor. Primary responsibility is to identify, cultivate and solicit prospects and donors for major and planned gifts to TLU through personal and event contacts. The specific objective is to raise major gift dollars to grow the permanent endowment of the university, to further enhance educational opportunities for students, to support programmatic initiatives, and to provide facilities in order to further support the academic quality of the university.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit major and planned gift donors for gifts through personal visits, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Establish a strategic plan to move donors, through relationship building and engagement, to higher levels of giving including major and planned gifts.
- Maintain and manage a portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Travel extensively with a goal of visiting a predetermined number of donors and prospects each month.
- Analyze prospect financial/social data to match university funding priorities to donor’s passion for major and planned gift support.
- Be a self-motivated team member while exerting resourceful and creative initiatives to ensure successful solicitation and stewardship.
- Exercise strong listening skills as a means to effectively interact with a wide variety of constituents.
- Broaden philanthropic constituency through fund-raising best practices.
- Identify, enlist, educate, motivate, and otherwise service volunteers to ensure their involvement in cultivation and solicitation activities for the university.
- Acknowledge selected gifts to the university.
- Represent the university at events and constituent gatherings as appropriate.
- Understand and support the mission of Texas Lutheran University.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- At least five years’ experience in progressive and proven fundraising. Related experience in development, sales, or public relations may be considered.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; ability to listen well
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to plan and schedule own work
- Ability to facilitate meetings and groups
- Demonstrate the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of estate and planned giving techniques
- Public speaking ability
- High degree of judgment is required to deal with complex factors
- Ability to make decisions based on conclusions for which there is little precedent
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Membership in ALDE, AFP, or CASE is required is strongly encouraged and supported
- Travel is required. There will be several weekend and evening activities to attend
Benefits are competitive. Texas Lutheran University, an accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is located 35 miles from downtown San Antonio. Please submit an application, a resume, and the contact information for at least three professional references to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
FAX: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made.