New Student & Family Orientation
Transitioning into university life is challenging, and TLU’s orientation is designed to help students meet that challenge. Orientation is an opportunity to meet new people, adjust to a new home, develop friendships, and become involved in a new community. Research shows that students who attend orientation programs are more likely to stay in college, be satisfied with their college experiences, get better grades and graduate.
Orientation is a two-day program that takes place during move-in weekend, designed to give students the best possible start to a successful TLU education.
For a detailed schedule and more information to prepare for Move-In and starting classes at TLU, students can login to MyTLU.
Orientation Weekend Highlights
Saturday, August 22 - Sunday, August 23, 2015
Transition to a new environment
- Attend the matriculation ceremony and officially sign-in as a TLU student!
- Move into your room and start making your new space your own.
- Begin orientation! Meet your orientation group, get your orientation schedule, and let the fun begin!
- Learn your way around the TLU campus and check out the services and programs available to you.
- Discover the opportunities of campus life and learn how to become involved both in and out of the classroom.
Prepare for academic responsibilities and social opportunities
- Meet new friends and learn more about yourself through fun activities.
- Get to know the TLU faculty as they participate in orientation activities with you.
- Learn how to maximize your college experience by discussing essential elements that lead to academic success.
- Begin to establish important relationships that will lay the foundation for a great TLU experience.
Integrate into the TLU community
- Take care of business, buy textbooks, find an on-campus job, and prepare for the start of classes.
- Rock out to the entertainment that will occur each night of orientation.
Move In and Check In
Both residential & commuter students should check-in online through MyTLU on the Thursday and Friday prior to Move-In and Orientation. All holds must be cleared by this time in order to be eligible to check in online. Residential students will not be able to move into the residence halls on Move-In day until they have checked in online.
On Saturday, the day of Move-In and Orientation, enter campus at Kingsbury and Fleming (the I-46 entrance will be closed).
Everyone will be directed to check in to orientation to then be given directions to unload and move into the residence halls. Arriving at 8 a.m. should allow enough time to move in before Orientation begins at 1:30 p.m.
Students not living on campus will need to enter campus at Kingsbury and Fleming to visit the orientation arrival tent at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
This will give enough time to visit the bookstore, visit the transfer and commuter lounge in the Alumni Student Center (ASC) and grab lunch before Orientation begins at 1:30 p.m.
For more information on Bulldog Orientation, visit Student Life & Learning on MyTLU (login required).
Parent & Family Orientation
TLU knows that this can be an exciting and challenging time for the entire family, so we offer an orientation for parents and family members on Saturday after check-in/move-in.
Parent and Family Orientation Highlights
Saturday, August 22, 2015
- Meet with faculty and staff.
- Hear from and talk with other families who have shared and are sharing the same transitional experience.
- Discover issues relevant to students entering the TLU community.
- Obtain information and tips to support your new Bulldog during this time of transition.
Check out the Parent Portal for an orientation schedule and more information.
Parent & Family Weekend
Your student has been exploring so much since arriving at TLU. Join us for Parent & Family Weekend to learn what your student has been up to, TLU traditions and how to make the best of your student's experience!
Parent & Family Weekend takes place during Homecoming celebrations each fall.
Parent & Family Weekend Highlights
Friday, October 2 - Saturday, October 3, 2015
- Meet the Vice President and Dean of Student Life and Learning for a Q&A session and to hear about what's been happening on campus.
- Learn about Study Abroad opportunities and hear students share their experiences.
- Learn about the Career Development Office and the services offered.
- Young alumni return to talk about their time at TLU.
- Have breakfast with the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Government Association President.
- Enjoy Homecoming activities and events with your student.
Visit the Parent & Family Weekend event page for information on registration, check-in and the schedule of events.
- TLU Experience
- Residence Life
- Student Activities
- Center for Servant Leadership
- Support Services
- Family & First year
- About Student Life & Learning