- Freshmen Students
- Transfer Students
- International Students
- Visit TLU
- Contact Admissions
Applying to TLU
Use these Applications to Apply to TLU:
You can use the Common Application - available August 1 - or the Apply Texas Application - available July 1 - to apply to TLU. If you’re applying to several colleges, including colleges outside of Texas, you'll want to use the Common Application. If you are applying to Texas colleges only, you can use Apply Texas. Make sure your personal essay is customized for the college to which you are applying.
- Application for admission - The Common Application or Apply Texas
- Personal Essay. You can use the essay prompts on the Common Application or Apply Texas or submit your own essay or graded writing sample. Please take the time to write an essay with at least 500 words.
- Official transcript sent directly from your high school with current class ranking and cumulative GPA
- Official SAT/ACT test scores. If you didn't select TLU to automatically receive your scores when you took the test, you can download your scores from the College Board website and send them to us as a PDF. Transfer applicants are not required to submit scores if they have more than 15 transferable hours
- Recommendation letters are not required but are encouraged
- Transfer addendum form (for transfer students only)
Application documents can be emailed to email@example.com.
SCHOLARSHIPS & FINANCIAL AID
Your application - either through the Common Application or Apply Texas - also serves as your application for TLU academic scholarships. If you want to be considered for federal, state, or institutional financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Filing the FAFSA - Available beginning October 1
- File the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov
- To have your FAFSA information sent directly to TLU, enter Federal School Code 003641
- You will need your tax return as well as your parents' tax information to complete the FAFSA
- FAFSA for fall admission will be available October 1 of your senior year
Applying for Scholarships
- The Common Application or your Apply Texas application serves as your application for TLU's academic scholarships
- We also offer music and theatre performance scholarships and departmental scholarships
For a complete list of scholarships, as well as grants and loans available at TLU, visit tlu.edu/scholarships.
Notification of Admission
Once we receive your completed application and all of the required documents - SAT/ACT test scores, high school transcript, and essay - you can expect an admissions decision with two weeks.
If you do not receive a notification within two weeks, your application may be under review by our Admissions Committee, you are missing documents (test scores, transcript or essay), or the application was never received. If your application is under review by the Admissions Committee, your Admissions Representative will contact you so you can provide additional materials (recommendation letter, new test scores, current grades, etc.).
Once we make an admissions decision, you can expect a formal letter in the mail. For students who are accepted, you will receive a letter along with a TLU acceptance packet.
You're Admitted - What's Next?
Submit necessary documents
- Submit your nonrefundable $400 enrollment deposit by May 1. We must receive your deposit before you can get a course schedule and sign up for housing
- Submit written confirmation of vaccination against bacterial meningitis
- File the FAFSA, as noted above. This is very important to receive financial aid. FAFSA can be filed beginning October 1. Respond to any requests for additional information such as verification worksheets and IRS transcripts before August 1
- Submit your final transcript with graduation date and final class rank
- Complete the New Student Registration Form (NSRF) after receipt of deposit and meningitis vaccine. This form is used by faculty and advising staff to create your course schedule
- Complete the housing application and contract available after receipt of deposit and meningitis vaccine. Housing assignments will be made in the summer (early July) for fall applicants and after January 1 for spring applicants
Bulldog Basics is an optional event for deposited students during the summer. It provides opportunities for students to tie up any loose ends before arriving on campus in the fall. Students are also able to get their TLU photo IDs made and families can meet with a financial aid counselor to get assistance with completing any outstanding financial aid documents. Before an RSVP can be submitted, students must pay the enrollment deposit and provide proof of meningitis vaccination.
Bulldog Orientation takes place the weekend prior to the start of classes and is meant to help you transition into life at TLU. You’ll move in to your dorm and attend preparation sessions to introduce you to your academic responsibilities and social opportunities while attending TLU. Parents and family members are also invited to attend special sessions meant just for them after helping you move in to your dorm room.
The Matriculation ceremony is when you get to officially sign in as a TLU student. This is usually one of the first events of Bulldog Orientation weekend.
Convocation is when all students, faculty, and staff gather for the official beginning of the academic year. There will be recognitions, remarks, and words of wisdom that will inspire you as you embark on the most exciting four years of your life.
Texas Lutheran University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Dr. Bernadette Buchanan, Title IX Coordinator, 830-372-8060. TLU's Title IX policies are outlined at www.tlu.edu/titleix.
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.