CMA Youth Orchestra
The CMA Youth Orchestra program is open to all students and community members playing violin, viola, cello, or bass. All students participating in the Youth Orchestra program are expected to perform twice each year with their ensemble.
- Tuition is $50 per semester, per student.
- Full scholarships are provided to students with financial need - details coming soon.
- Tuition is waived for students taking private lessons through the CMA.
Beginning Orchestra directed by Ben Thomason
Meetings: Two separate orchestras: Mondays from 5-6 p.m., or Tuesdays from 4:30-5:30pm, both meeting at TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Band Hall. You may register for whichever is most convenient to attend.
Qualifications: Graduate of Level I and II Outreach classes or 1 year of private lessons; limited or no knowledge of note reading, A and D major only at entrance. A positive attitude and the commitment to attend all rehearsals and performances.
Intermediate Orchestra directed by Bethany Raynes
Meetings: Mondays from 6:15-7:15 p.m. at TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Band Hall.
Qualifications: Can read all notes in first position fluidly, can read whole, dotted half, half, quarter, eighth, and rests, able to slur, hook, and play staccato/legato, has ability to follow leader and blend with group, knowledge of dynamics, can play C, G, A and D major. A positive attitude and the commitment to attend all rehearsals and performances.
The CMA Performers, directed by Eric Siu. The CMA Performers is a group of advanced, small string chamber music ensembles. The configuration and rehearsal schedule of chamber groups will be determined at the first meeting of each semester. Members of the CMA Performers are required to register for either private lessons or for small-group lessons. Private lessons need not be with CMA instructors, but we will confirm your enrollment with an outside teacher. Members of the CMA Performers are expected to perform in the community as opportunities arise, in addition to the CMA’s regular recitals.
Meetings: Mondays from 6:15 - 7:15 p.m. at TLU's new Weston Performing Art Center - Orchestra Rehearsal Hall.
Qualifications: Can read and play in first and third position, can read all rhythms generally including dotted quarters and sixteenths, emerging vibrato, can play keys up to 3 sharps and 3 flats. A positive attitude and the commitment to attend all rehearsals and performances.
Small-Group Lessons are intended for members of the CMA Youth Orchestras, directly addressing elements of instrumental technique needed to continue improvement in musicality and advancement in the Youth Orchestra program. Small-Group Lessons offer a lower-cost but second-best alternative to private lessons.
- Enrollment is limited to 3-6 students; registration is first-come, first served. Classes with fewer than 3 registrants will be canceled.
- Tuition for Small Group Lessons is $150 per student, per 12-week semester.
- No performance required - the focus is squarely on improving technical skill and musicality.
Fall 2018 Small-Group Lesson Offerings
- Mondays from 4:00-4:45: Violin/Viola with Bobbi Mauldin, instructor
- Meets at TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Room 130
- Continued development of skills needed for Intermediate and Beginning Orchestras
- Mondays from 5:15-6:00: Violin/Viola with Bethany Raynes, instructor
- Meets at TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Room 140
- Continued development of skills needed for CMA Performers and Intermediate Orchestra
- Mondays from 4:00-4:45: Cello with Liz Massad, instructor
- Meets at TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Band Hall
- Continued development of cello skills for Beginning and Intermediate Orchestra
Youth Orchestra Auditions (for Intermediate Orchestra and CMA Performers)
- Find audition requirements and expectations for entry to each level here or consult your current instructor.
- Orchestra auditions are first-come, first-heard; no need to reserve a time. Sign in when you arrive and warm up until you are called.
- Upcoming audition dates: August 27, 2018 from 4:30-6:00pm at TLU Schuech Fine Arts Building.
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy