The CMA Youth Orchestra program is open to all students and community members playing violin, viola, cello, or bass. All students participating in the Youth Orchestra program are expected to perform twice each year with their ensemble.
- Tuition is $50 per semester, per student.
- Full scholarships are provided from the Lindenbaum Fund to students with financial need. Families qualify for the need-based scholarship if they are eligible for any Federal or State assistance programs such as the Free and Reduced-price School Lunch Program, SNAP/WIC, CHIP/Medicaid, etc. As an example, click here to view the income guidelines for the School Lunch Program. Qualifying families may select the scholarship during registration.
- Tuition is waived for students taking private lessons through the CMA.
CMA Beginning Orchestras - Stephanie Phillips, Director
Tuesdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. for students who have just completed level 2 of the Outreach Program.
Mondays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. for students who were in the Beginning Orchestra in 2018-2019.
Location: Both meet at TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Band Hall.
Chamber Orchestra - Stephanie Phillips, Director
Meetings: Mondays, 5:30-6:30 p.m. for students that were in Intermediate Orchestra in 2018-2019, or by audition.
Location: TLU Schuech Fine Arts - Band Hall.
Qualifications: Can read all notes in first position fluidly, can read whole, dotted half, half, quarter, eighth, and rests, able to slur, hook, and play staccato/legato, has ability to follow leader and blend with group, knowledge of dynamics, can play C, G, A and D major. A positive attitude and the commitment to attend all rehearsals and performances.
CMA Performers - Eric Siu, Director
The CMA Performers is a group of advanced, small string chamber music ensembles. The configuration and rehearsal schedule of chamber groups will be determined at the first meeting of each semester. Members of the CMA Performers are required to register for either private lessons or for small-group lessons. Private lessons need not be with CMA instructors, but we will confirm your enrollment with an outside teacher. Members of the CMA Performers are expected to perform in the community as opportunities arise, in addition to the CMA’s regular recitals.
Meetings: Mondays, 6:15-7:15 p.m.
Location: TLU's new Weston Performing Arts Center - Orchestra Rehearsal Hall.
Qualifications: Can read and play in first and third position, can read all rhythms generally including dotted quarters and sixteenths, emerging vibrato, can play keys up to 3 sharps and 3 flats. A positive attitude and the commitment to attend all rehearsals and performances.
Small-Group Lessons are intended for members of the CMA Youth Orchestras, directly addressing elements of instrumental technique needed to continue improvement in musicality and advancement in the Youth Orchestra program. Small-Group Lessons offer a lower-cost but second-best alternative to private lessons.
- Enrollment is limited to 4-6 students; registration is first-come, first served. Classes with fewer than 4 registrants may be canceled.
- Tuition for Small Group Lessons is $150 per student, per 12-week semester.
- No performance required - the focus is squarely on improving technical skill and musicality.
Small-Group Lesson Offerings
Youth Orchestra Auditions (for Chamber Orchestra and CMA Performers)
- No audition necessary for Lindenbaum Outreach Program strings class graduates to join the Philharmonic Orchestra - just register!
- Find audition requirements and expectations for entry to each level here or consult your current instructor.
- Auditions for the Chamber Orchestra and CMA Performers will be held at the beginning of each semester- see Orchestra calendar for audition dates. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an audition.
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy
February 1, 2020 all day
February 8, 2020 9:00 am - April 11, 2020 12:00 pm
February 12, 2020 5:00 pm - April 15, 2020 7:00 pm
February 29, 2020 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
February 29, 2020 9:00 am - May 2, 2020 12:00 pm