About Community Music Academy
The TLU Community Music Academy is a nonprofit community music school providing music education to students of all ages and levels of ability. The mission of the CMA is to enrich the community and transform lives by pursuing excellence in string and choral music education in a stimulating, nurturing and fun environment.
Lindenbaum Outreach Program
- Tuition-free, 2-year-long after-school group classes in Violin and Cello at select local elementary schools; instruments provided for a minimal fee. Any 2nd-3rd graders may enroll in Violin classes, 3rd-4th graders in Cello classes.
- Tuition-free Beginning Youth Choir meeting at TLU. Any 1st-3rd graders may enroll.
- Scholarships for graduates of these classes who wish to continue studying music in CMA Youth Orchestras or the higher level CMA Youth Choirs.
- Beginning and Intermediate Youth Orchestras and the advanced ensemble “CMA Performers” provide continuing strings education and ensemble experience for graduates from the Lindenbaum Outreach Program and all students from Elementary through High School.
- Youth Orchestras rehearse at TLU.
- Scholarships available for students graduating from Lindenbaum Outreach Program strings classes.
- Small Group Lessons for Youth Orchestra students provide an opportunity to focus on improving specific skills.
- Intermediate and Advanced Youth Choirs provide continuing vocal education and choral experience for graduates from the Lindenbaum Outreach Program Beginning Choir and all students from late Elementary through High School.
- Youth Choirs rehearse at the TLU Chapel.
- Scholarships available for students graduating from the Lindenbaum Outreach Program Beginning Youth Choir.
- Weekly one-on-one sessions in violin, viola, cello, bass, or classical guitar.
- Violin instructors use the Suzuki Method; all CMA instructors hold a Master of Music or Doctor of Musical Arts in their instrument.
- One-week, half-day Strings and Vocal Arts Camps during July provide an exciting encounter with music for beginners and experienced students alike.
- Discounts available for multiple siblings and for students and graduates of the Lindenbaum Outreach Program Strings classes or Beginning Choir.
Youth Choir Festival
- Treble choirs from communities and schools across Texas are invited to a one-day workshop alternating years in January.
- We are proudly bringing back as clinician Dr. Bob Chilcott for January 2019.
If you believe in the mission of the CMA and have seen its positive impact on individual students, families, and the community at large, please consider donating. You are welcome to contact the CMA Director if you have any questions.
TLU Community Music Academy is supported in part by:
Also, Thanks to City Strings and Piano, providing Violin & Piano Lessons in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Texas Lutheran University and the Community Music Academy assure that all facilities used for our programs are accessible to people with special needs, per Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The CMA provides readily achievable, reasonable accommodations as warranted. Contact CMA Director Ben Thomason to request special accommodations of any kind.
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy
April 26, 2018 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
April 26, 2018 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
April 27, 2018 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
April 28, 2018 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
An Amazing Race-style event uniting the community in the fight against sexual assault.
May 1, 2018 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm