RN Refresher Course
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Contact Lead Faculty for the RN Refresher Course, Danna Salinas-Harrison, for more information about the course and the application.
The TLU Nursing RN Refresher Course satisfies the requirements of the Texas Board of Nursing for an RN Refresher Course which is needed to reinstate an active registered nursing license in the state of Texas after four or more years in inactive status, or to apply for a Texas registered nursing license when coming from another state where the applicant has not been employed as registered nurse for the last four year.
The RN Refresher Course is an online course. There will be three skills check-off/simulation days on campus at TLU and an 84-hour practicum with an RN preceptor.
This is an intensive program designed to prepare RNs for re-entry into the nursing workforce. You will spend about 20 hours each week with didactic content for the first six weeks. Skills check-offs/simulation days are 8-hour days on campus at TLU. Practicum hours will vary from week to week according the RN preceptor’s schedule, but will require no more than 36 hours each week during the practicum. There are also optional open lab days where students can come to practice nursing skills prior to check-off/simulation days.
The program fee for the RN Refresher Course is $2,500. Scholarships are available to cover all or part of the program fee. Out of pocket expenses may include uniform, textbooks, and a nurse kit.
- Registered nurse who is applying for active status of a Texas nursing license after more than four years of inactive status.
- Registered nurse who is coming from another state in the United States who has not been employed as a registered nurse in the last four years and is applying for Texas licensure.
- Once conditionally accepted into the program, student must provide a written copy of the following health and professional related information to the TLU Department of Nursing one week prior to the course start date:
- Health: Current health insurance, physical examination (TLU Form), including documentation of current TB test, and immunizations (MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tdap)
- Professional: Liability insurance, Current CPR certification*, completed Professional Conduct and Behaviors Agreement, current Texas RN six-month temporary permit**
- Note: Once admitted, a controlled drug screen will be required. Negative results will enable the student to begin the RN Refresher Course.
*American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS)
**Must provide a copy of current Texas RN six-month temporary permit by the end of the second week of the course.
Course Application Process
- Read the entire RN Refresher Course Information Packet (all information in the packet is included on this page).
- Request an application.
- Email the lead faculty for the course, Danna Salinas-Harrison, MS, RN, CPN, at email@example.com
- The lead faculty will send you a link to the application.
- Submit the completed online application for the course by the application deadline.
- Send resume with two references via email to the coordinator for the course by the application deadline.
- Once application materials are reviewed, a telephone interview will be scheduled.
- The interview is conducted by the coordinator of the course.
- You will be notified of conditional acceptance via email.
- Scholarships are available through grants awarded to the TLU Department of Nursing to strengthen the nursing workforce through education.
- The RN Refresher Course Scholarship Application is included in SECTION 2 of the RN Refresher Course Application.
- The scholarship may cover all or part of the RN Refresher Course program fee.
- To qualify for the RN Refresher Course Scholarship applicants must be:
- 14 years of age or older
- A U.S. citizen or a non-citizen authorized to work in the U.S.
- A resident of one of the following counties: Atascosa, Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Dewitt, Fayette, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Karnes, Kendall, Lavaca, Travis or Wilson.
Computer Skills & Technology Requirements
- A desktop or laptop with high-speed internet access and a printer. Tablets are not recommended as they may have limited functionality with some programs.
- Basic competency with Microsoft Office, the internet and email are required.
- One of the following internet browsers is required for the online course content:
- Firefox 14-22*
- Chrome 21-28*
- Safari 5.0.6-6.0.4
- Internet Explorer 9-10
- One of the following operating systems is required for the online course content:
- Windows Vista 32/64 Bit
- Windows 7 32/64 Bit
- Windows 8 32/64 Bit
- Mac OSX 10.5 – 10.7
- A face-to-face introduction to technology occurs during orientation.
- Online tutorials are available for the learning management system.
* Firefox and Chrome are the preferred browsers for the online course content.
TLU Department of Nursing
Learn more about the TLU Department of Nursing at www.tlu.edu/nursing and how you can earn your BSN.
RN to BSN Track
TLU offers the RN to BSN track for nurses looking to advance their career. Flexible class schedules allow you to continue working as you earn your BSN.
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy
July 6, 2017 8:00 am - July 8, 2017 5:00 pm
July 21, 2017 6:00 pm - July 22, 2017 4:00 pm
July 24, 2017 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
July 25, 2017 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
July 26, 2017 9:00 am - 12:00 pm