Alternative Teacher Certification Admissions
Applicants must meet each of the following requirements:
- Hold at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with an overall grade point average of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Submit official transcripts from every college/university attended
- Submit a $55 non-refundable application fee
- Complete the application package for admission to the alternative teacher certification program. Apply now.
- Successfully participate in a structured interview with alternative teacher certification program staff and TLU faculty.
Depending on the desired area of certification, applicants must document that they have met the coursework requirements outlined below. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will need to take “deficiency” courses before they can secure an internship position.
Bachelors degree course work requirements vary depending on certification area. Contact program director for details.
Pre-Admission Content Tests (PACT)
Degreed applicants to the TLU Alternative Teacher Certification Program who do not have the number of semester hours for the certification area, but who are close, may demonstrate their content proficiency by taking the TExES content-area exam in their area of certification. Please refer to the Information Regarding Pre-Admission Content Tests (PACT) from the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC). We suggest that you take this exam even if you meet the semester-hour requirements noted above because you must pass the content exam prior to your internship. Your score report will also indicate areas that you need to study to be a more effective teacher and/or to pass the exam should you not pass on your first attempt. Passing the PACT exam for the desired area of certification allows the student to meet the content exam requirement for their certification.
More information regarding the PACT exam, as well as registration information, is available at cms.texes-ets.org.
PACT may be required for other applicants at the discretion of the staff.
Prior to taking the examination, download and study the related preparation manual from the ETS site and take the sample test at the end of the manual. The preparation manuals can be found at cms.texes-ets.org.
These costs / fees are for the 2017-2018 academic year - August 2017 through August 2018.
- $55 non-refundable fee for application to the TLU Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Each Alternative Teacher Certification Program course for academic credit is $1005 ($335 per semester hour)
- There is no additional cost for the TExES Test Preparation (not for academic credit).
- Costs for books and other educational expenses vary with each course.
- Some students may require additional courses in their content area for certification. These additional courses are charged at the Alternative Teacher Certification Program course rate of $335 per semester hour if taken at TLU.
- Fingerprinting, probationary, and standard certificates are additional costs.
Students are assessed charges each semester for tuition. Payment for these charges may be made by one of the following two methods.
- Option I: Payment in Full
Full payment may be made in advance of, or at the time of, registration confirmation.
- Financial aid may be available for students who complete the FAFSA (fafsa.gov) and are enrolled in at least six hours per semester or collectively over the summer.
- Option II: Monthly Payment Plan (only available during a fall or spring term)
Payment may be made in three installments per long semester.
Both plans are subject to one percent (1%) monthly interest (12% APR) on the unpaid balance. VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted. A service charge of $55 is assessed each semester for participation in this monthly payment plan. (Fee required by TEA).
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy
September 15, 2018 all day
A Celebration of Latinx Heritage
September 28, 2018 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
September 29, 2018 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
October 1, 2018 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
October 4, 2018 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm