Advanced Placement Summer Institute
July 13-16 & July 20-23, 2020
Texas Lutheran University is pleased to partner with the College Board® to offer several four-day-long workshops of the AP® Summer Institute, July 13-16 and July 20-23, on campus in Seguin. Award-winning consultants approved by the College Board teach intensive, subject-specific courses that provide support and professional development for new and experienced Advanced Placement teachers at both the middle and high school levels. Classes are small and serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas and information about AP, building success in the classroom, and vertical teaming. AP teachers leave the Institute with renewed enthusiasm and equipped with new strategies and resources to incorporate into their classrooms.
TLU’s AP Summer Institute is part of the College Board’s AP Program to increase the number of teachers with advanced skills, thereby improving the level of instruction in an entire school. Through vertical teams, the high standards of AP are driving curriculum reform down to the lower grades and increasing the AP pipeline by giving 7th grade students a clear goal: AP in high school.
WHY PARTICIPANTS CHOOSE TLU
- Track record of useful, interesting workshops
- Wide variety of offerings
- Conveniently located in the heart of Texas
- Small college campus atmosphere
- State-of-the-art classrooms
- Free, convenient parking
- Lunches and breaks to meet a full range of dietary preferences and needs
- Proactive administrative and logistical support before, during, and after the institutes
The concept of vertical teams incorporates the idea that Advanced Placement should not consist of isolated courses taught to a few students, but rather it should be a planned program of teaching skills and concepts over several years. This is best achieved by the vertical cooperation of teachers working together to coordinate their teaching efforts. Vertical teaming will be stressed throughout the APSI, and you will learn from some of the best consultants how their schools have accomplished vertical teaming and curriculum alignment. To get the most from your institute, bring a team from your school that includes an administrator. Each participant will receive a vertical team guide at the Institute.
Workshop Offerings and Consultants
There are two sessions in Seguin, Texas. See the schedule to select the session that fits your needs. Meeting times are from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, with a break for lunch served at Hein Dining Hall on campus. (Lunch is included in the cost.)
Click on the course below to download the instructor bio and course description.
Week 1: July 13-16
- AP US History - Gwen Cash
- AP Psychology - Kay Minter
- AP Calculus AB - Linda Hall
- AP American Government & Politics – Noah Lipman
- AP World History - Modern - Barbara Ozuna
- AP Art & Design - Quiquia Calhoun
Week 2: July 20-23
- AP Music Theory - Melissa Livings
- AP Human Geography - Linda Hammon
- AP Spanish Literature & Culture - Santos Gutierrez
- AP Environmental Science – Brian Kaestner
Cost and Registration
- Registration is $550.
- Deadline for regular enrollment is May 31 and the final registration deadline is June 26.
- After May 31, late enrollment will be subject to an additional $50 processing fee through June 26.
- ALL changes must be sent in writing via email or mail before the deadlines listed above.
- NO telephone changes will be accepted.
- Refunds on cancellations, minus the $50 processing fee, will be given through June 26.
- After June 26, cancellations and no shows will not be refunded. All registrations must be paid by June 26.
- Completion certificates will not be distributed until paid in full.
Seguin Bed & Breakfasts
Seguin RV Camping
Area Events and Sites of Interest
One of the oldest towns in Texas with a history dating back to the days of the Republic, Seguin is laced with a rich heritage and a variety of things to see and do. Historic and colorful San Antonio is one of the nation’s most-visited cities, and Austin is our beautiful, bustling capital city, both less than an hour from Seguin. Nearby are unique German communities, the Texas Hill Country, and rivers and lakes that provide water fun. Shopping bargains reign in San Marcos, only 20 minutes away, at the country’s busiest outlet mall.
For more information, see the following websites:
The Seguin Area Chamber of Commerce
San Marcos Convention and Visitors’ Center
New Braunfels Convention and Visitors’ Center
The Historic Town of Gruene, Texas
As a participant in our APSI you may use the TLU Fitness Center while you are here. However, you must print, complete and have your physician complete and sign the Physical Activity Clearance Form.
The Dr. Burton E. Grossman Fitness Center
The fitness center, opened in 1998, is well equipped with Nautilus machine equipment, including a full line for all major muscle groups and some minor groups. Equipment promoting cardiovascular wellness includes four treadmills, one elliptical cross trainer, four stair-steppers, three upright stationary bikes, and three recumbent stationary bikes. Also, the center offers free-weight equipment, including a large area for free weights, an area for squat racks, four bench presses, one incline, one decline and one military press, three power clean platforms, one Smith machine, a free-weight leg press, a hack squat, and a flat bench area for various exercises.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. and Monday-Thursday 4:30-7:30 p.m.
TLU Mabee Aquatic Center
The Mabee Aquatic Center is an outdoor heated pool.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Thursday 1-5:50 p.m. for open swim and 6-7 p.m. for lap pool only and Saturday and Sunday 1-6 p.m. Fridays are closed all day.
Other on Campus Recreational Facilities
Nine lighted tennis courts and a jogging track are available for 24-hour use.
- Community Education
- Summer Programs
- Alternative Teacher Certification Program
- Community Music Academy
January 28, 2020 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
February 1, 2020 all day
February 7, 2020 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
February 8, 2020 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
February 12, 2020 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Lutheran Pastor Nadia Bolz-Weber created a spiritual home for people who feel like they don’t fit into organized religion.